Dr. Harty Cup Hurling Q-Final – Charleville CBS 1-12 Nenagh CBS 2-6

O’Callaghan the ace for Charleville

Charleville CBS 1-12 Nenagh CBS 2-6

By Brendan Larkin for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Thursday, January 20, 2011

CHARLEVILLE CBS won this Harty Cup quarter-final tie at Clarina yesterday far more convincingly than the score line suggests. After leading 0-7 to 0-3 at half-time, they stormed into a 1-8 to 0-3 lead after 35 minutes thanks to Dean Copps goal and looked to be heading for a comprehensive victory.

All credit to the Nenagh side, however, they refused to throw in the towel, and the introduction of Kevin Seymour with 20 minutes to go added badly needed strength to a very weak forward division. A Jason Forde goal from a 20 metre free, raised hopes of a grandstand finish, and when the same player repeated that feat with two minutes to go, only two points separated the sides.

However, the North Cork school held their nerve and a superb long range point by the magnificent Pa O’Callaghan from inside his own half, ensured them of their place in the semi-final where they await the winners of the Midleton CBS/Our Ladys replay. The performances of David Reidy at centre back for Charleville, John Madigan at full back, Timmy Rea, John O’Brien and Dean Copps were also significant but 15-year-old Pa O’Callaghan was the best forward on view. Contrastingly, Nenagh were limited in attack and the fact that they could only muster one point from play for 65 minutes hurling (five added for injuries) tells its own story.

Charleville signalled their intent from the throw in and deservedly led 0-4 to 0-1 after 12 minutes. With Pa O’Callaghan sparkling at corner forward, Charleville were full value for their 0-7 to 0-3 half-time lead, O’Callaghan claiming four of his side’s tally. Maintaining their dominance on the changeover, Charleville struck the decisive blow in the 35th minute when Dean Copps was on hand to force Darren Sheehy’s long delivery over the line. Nenagh were in need of inspiration from somewhere if they were not to be completely over-run and it came in the form of a goal from a 20 metre free by Jason Forde in the 45th minute.

With Mark Tuite taking over the free taking duties from an out of form Forde, he cut the deficit further with two points from long range frees, before Nenagh were thrown a second life line. Inexplicably the referee penalised the Charleville ‘keeper for over-carrying despite he (the ‘keeper) being flattened by a late challenge inside the small square, and Forde duly converted the 20 metre free to make it a two point game. However it was as close as Charleville let them get and they held on for a deserved victory and a place in the last four for the first time.

Scorers for Charleville: P O’Callaghan 0-7 (frees), D Copps 1-0, J O’Brien, T Rea (0-2 each), M O’Loughlin 0-1.

Scorers for Nenagh: J Forde 2-3 (2-2frees), M Tuite 0-3 (0-2 frees, 0-1 65’).

CHARLEVILLE CBS: TJ Garvey; S Butler, J Madigan, J Walsh; C Twomey, D Reidy, A Dennehy; D Sheehy, M O’Loughlin; T Rea, M Kavanagh, J Morrissey; D Copps, J O’Brien, P O’Callaghan.

Sub: G Kelleher for Morrissey (50).

NENAGH CBS: K Flynn; J Peters, J O’Dwyer, J O’Flaherty; E Hayes, D Quinn, N Gleeson; D Ryan, T Gallagher; M Tuite, J Forde, K O’Flaherty; P Shanahan, P Fogarty, D Walsh.

Subs: D Williams for D Ryan (27), K Seymour for Fogarty (40), J Mackey for K O’Flaherty (50).

Referee: M Meade (Limerick)