Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship Final – Drom & Inch 1-19 Clonoulty-Rossmore 2-14

Callanan fires Drom to first ever title

Drom & Inch 1-19 Clonoulty-Rossmore 2-14

By Michael Moynihan for the Irish Examiner newspaper

JOY unconfined for Drom & Inch yesterday in Semple Stadium as they won their first Tipperary senior hurling title, edging out Clonoulty Rossmore by two points to get their hands on the Dan Breen Cup. A noisy crowd of 7,038 were treated to a fine game, with Drom overcoming a sluggish start to finish in fine style, intercounty star and captain Seamus Callanan storming into the game in the second-half to torment their opponents.  The beginning of the game was quite different, though. Clonoulty were aided by the wind in the first-half and settled quickly, rattling over three points in the opening seven minutes from Conor Ryan, Jamie Moloney and a Timmy Hammersley ‘65. Drom had two wides before the impressive David Butler got them on the scoreboard with a point.

The game fizzed to life on 10 minutes, when Clonoulty wing-back Padraig Heffernan put a clever clearance into corner-forward Ciaran Quirke’s hand. Quirke delayed a fraction of a second before handpassing to Seán Maher, who finished well for the game’s opening goal.  David Collins hit back with Drom’s second point just before they raised a green flag themselves: James Woodlock freed Collins, who made ground down the left wing before placing Pat Lupton, who crashed home a goal from close range: 1-2 to 1-4.

Hammersley made it a three-point game soon afterwards but Collins and Johnny Ryan (free) kept Drom ticking over. The scores were coming in twos: Timmy Hammersley’s fine crossfield pass gave Maher a point on a plate and John O’Neill pointed again, before David Butler and Lupton had Drom points, making it 1-7 to 1-6 with five minutes left in the half.  Tom Butler and Conor Ryan points gave Clonoulty breathing space – though Ryan could have goaled from his opportunity – only for David and Seamus Butler to respond with yet another Drom brace, leaving it 1-9 to 1-8 at the half. Both sides might have had another goal before the break, mind – Seamus Callanan squandered a glorious chance for Drom, with Clonoulty ‘keeper Declan O’Dwyer spreading himself to save, while at the other end, a last-gasp Eamonn Buckley interception kept Clonoulty at bay.


The second half was delayed slightly as Clonoulty defender Kevin Horan injured himself running out onto the field, but the men in green and gold still settled quickly.  A peach of a point from Timmy Hammersley out on the sideline was almost immediately followed by another Clonoulty goal. On 32 minutes John O’Neill took advantage of some defensive dithering from Drom to collect the ball and pick his spot with a clinical finish, pushing his side four points ahead.  Credit Drom, they hit back. They moved Seamus Callanan from the forty into full-forward and they began to involve him in the game: he hit over a ‘65 and two frees, with Pat Lupton striking a beautiful point from the right wing. Seán Maher and Hammersley (free) kept Clonoulty just ahead, but when Callanan got his first from play, followed by a long-range Johnny Ryan effort, the sides were level on 45 minutes, 1-15 to 2-12. All to play for, but Drom tails were up.


Callanan put his side one up within two minutes, and Collins made it a two-point lead with 10 minutes left. From then on Clonoulty struggled to regain the initiative — Collins and Butler chipping in with two more points before Hammersley kept it interesting with two late Clonoulty frees either side of a fine Callanan point.  Drom were two points up as the game went into injury time and could never relax as the clock ticked into injury-time. However, while Clonoulty never gave up – the game ended with their forwards still trying to work an opening — the all-important goal never looked a realistic option. At the final whistle a flood of white and green-clad supporters streamed onto the field, and they stayed out there for a good hour afterwards.  It’s not every day you win your first county senior title, after all; you wouldn’t blame them for wringing every last drop from the day.

Scorers for Drom & Inch: S. Callanan 0-6 (0-2 fs, 0-1 65); P. Lupton 1-2; D. Butler 0-4; D. Collins 0-3; S. Butler, J. Ryan (0-1f) 0-2 each.

Scores for Clonoulty: T. Hammersley 0-6 (0-3 fs, 0-1 65); J. O’Neill (0-1 sideline) S. Maher 1-2 each; C. Ryan 0-2; J. Moloney, T. Butler 0-1 each.

DROM & INCH: D. Young; Martin Butler, Micheal Butler, M. Costello; P. Stapleton, E. Buckley, J. Ryan; J. Ryan, J. Woodlock; S. Butler, S. Callanan (c), D. Collins; P. Lupton, D. Ryan, D. Butler.

Subs: K. Butler for D. Ryan, 27; L. Ryan for M. Butler, 37; M. Ryan for J. Ryan, 60.

CLONOULTY ROSSMORE: D. O’Dwyer; K. Horan, J. Heffernan, Joey O’Keeffe; P. Heffernan, John Devane (c), John O’Keeffe; S. O’Connor, T. Butler; S. Maher, C. Ryan, J. Moloney; J. O’Neill, T. Hammersley, C. Quirke.

Subs: M. Sadlier for Horan, HT; A. Kearney for S. O’Connor, 44; F. O’Keeffe for J. Moloney 45; M. Coen for C. Ryan, 53; M. Heffernan for Quirke, 57.

Referee: Pat Gibson (Burgess).


Drom beat finds right rhythm

From the Irish Independent Newspaper

WHEN history beckoned, Drom & Inch were ready to answer the call.

After losing three Tipperary county finals in 2005, 2007 and 2009, they must have been wondering if the gods took some perverse pleasure in mocking them, but their determination never wavered and was finally rewarded in Semple Stadium yesterday when they took the title for the first time.

Their supporters in the crowd of 7,038 mingled with the players on the pitch for a long time after the game, savouring the fruits of a victory that was constructed deep in Drom’s refusal to buckle when it appeared that Clonoulty Rossmore seemed set to capture the Dan Breen Cup for the first time since 1997.

Clonoulty powered into a five-point lead (2-10 to 1-8) two minutes into the second half after John O’Neill fired in their second goal, leaving Drom facing a real test of character. Their response was emphatic.

Burrowing deep into their reserves of resilience and pride, they outhurled Clonoulty from there on, outscoring them by 0-11 to 0-4. Clonoulty’s only score from open play in that period came from Sean Maher, with the other three points the products of Timmy Hammersley’s accuracy from frees.

In contrast, Drom were hugely enterprising, scoring some brilliant points from open play, while Seamus Callanan punished Clonoulty’s defensive indiscretions with accurate free-taking. Team captain Callanan emerged as a central figure in Drom’s second-half surge, scoring 0-6 (three each from open play and frees), which was in marked contrast to the first half where he found it all but impossible to make any progress against a Clonoulty defence where John Devane, John O’Keeffe and James Heffernan were covering most of the angles with impressive authority.

Callanan had a clear goal chance in the 24th minute but goalkeeper Declan O’Dwyer made a superb save. Callanan was thwarted twice in the opening two minutes of the second half — having his shots for goal blocked on both occasions — and it really was beginning to look as if it would be another disappointing county final for his team.

However, all changed as Drom launched a spirited fightback. They drew level in the 49th minute when impressive midfielder Johnny Ryan pointed and took the lead for the first time two minutes later when Callanan scored his first point from play.

The momentum was flowing very much their way at that stage and they pulled three points clear in the 55th minute, before Hammersley ended a 14-minute spell without a Clonoulty score when he pointed a free. However, Callanan restored the three-point advantage in the 58th minute and while a Hammersley free a minute later left Drom facing an anxious two minutes of stoppage time, their defence held out.

Clonoulty won plenty of possession in those tense closing minutes, but were allowed very little room to manoeuvre by a tight-marking Drom defence where centre-back Eamonn Buckley was outstanding all through. Full-back Micheal Butler also majored in strict security, while in attack David Butler, Pat Lupton and David Collins scored an impressive 1-9 between them from open play.

Sean Maher and John O’Neill scored 1-2 each for Clonoulty who made a blistering start, racing into a 1-4 to 0-1 lead when Sean Maher finished a smart move with a goal in the 14th minute. Worrying times for Drom, but their response was quick and feisty as they scored 1-1 in two minutes.

They had failed to score a goal in any of their three county final appearances, but the drought ended in the 14th minute when Lupton fired to the net from close range. The goal eased Drom into a more settled routine and while Clonoulty twice opened three-point leads, they were reined in on both occasions and finished the half a point ahead, 1-9 to 1-8.

All six Clonoulty forwards, plus midfielder Tom Butler, scored in the first half and when Hammersley and O’Neill added 1-1 in the opening two minutes of the second half, it looked as if it might be a decisive break.

However, Drom never flinched and once they found the rhythm which had underpinned the wins over Mullinahone and Toomevara in the semi-final and quarter-final, they raised their game to a level that Clonoulty couldn’t reach.

“Heart and determination got us over the line. Even when things weren’t going our way, the lads kept battling. We felt that if we could get ahead in the second half, we would be good enough to see it out,” said Drom manager Teddy Kennedy.


First, of course, they had to recover from six- and five-point deficits in either half, challenges that proved within their range on a day that will be cherished in the club for ever more. “Words can’t describe the feeling at the moment, it’s unbelievable,” said Seamus Callanan. He referenced the early exchanges of the second half as a time when Drom really had to stand up for themselves.

“I missed a goal chance at one end and John O’Neill went up and stuck the ball in the net at the other end. That could have killed a team, but there’s huge spirit in this squad — it’s driven by management and others around us. There is great support from everyone in the parish and we weren’t going to let them down today, no matter what.”

Drom’s determination to take their place on the Tipperary roll of honour was finally rewarded and they now look forward to their first Munster campaign, beginning with a clash against Waterford champions Ballygunner.

Scorers — Drom & Inch: P Lupton 1-2, S Callanan 0-6 (3f), D Butler 0-4, D Collins 0-3, J Ryan (1f), S Butler 0-2 each. Clonoulty Rossmore: T Hammersley 0-6 (4f, 1’65), J O’Neill (0-1 s-l), S Maher 1-2 each, T Butler, C Ryan, J Moloney, C Quirke 0-1 each.

Drom & Inch — D Young; Martin Butler, Micheal Butler, M Costello; P Stapleton, E Buckley, James Ryan; Johnny Ryan, J Woodlock; S Butler, S Callanan, D Collins; P Lupton, D Ryan, D Butler. Subs: K Butler for D Ryan (28), L Ryan for Martin Butler (38), M Ryan for J Ryan (62).

Clonoulty Rossmore — D O’Dwyer; Joey O’Keeffe, J Heffernan, K Horan; Padraig Heffernan, J Devane, John O’Keeffe; S O’Connor, T Butler; S Maher, C Ryan, J Moloney; J O’Neill, T Hammersley, C Quirke. Subs: M Sadlier for Horan (h-t), F O’Keeffe for Moloney (46), A Kearney for O’Connor (47), M Coen for Ryan (54), M Heffernan for Quirke (58).

Ref — P Gibson (Burgess).

Callanan leads Drom Inch revival

From the Irish Times newspaper

Drom Inch 1-19 Clonoulty-Rossmore 2-14

THE LONG wait is finally over for Drom Inch. In 2005, ’07 and ’09, the Mid-division team were bridesmaids on county final day, but yesterday they were crowned Tipperary senior hurling club champions for the very first time. Fittingly, captain Séamus Callanan accepted the Dan Breen Cup as Drom Inch supporters in the attendance of 7,038 spectators struggled to take in what they had witnessed. A club so accustomed to heartbreak in recent years had unlocked the door to success. And they did it the hard way, coming from five points down early in the second half to register a two-point victory. Clonoulty-Rossmore were tasting county final defeat for the second successive year. For them, the long wait for a first success in this competition since 1997 will go on.


Ultimately, it was Callanan who turned the screw in the second half, registering six points after he was held scoreless before half-time. The county team player popped over a 35th-minute 65 and would add two frees and three points from play before the finish. But when fellow county senior panellist John O’Neill, a 2010 All-Ireland under-21 medallist, banged home a 33rd-minute goal for Clonoulty, his side led by 2-10 to 1-8. Drom Inch were in trouble but they would respond in style, hitting 10 of the next 12 points.


Clonoulty were held scoreless for 14 minutes before their leading marksman, Timmy Hammersley, converted a 57th-minute free. Callanan responded before Hammersley concluded the scoring in perfect conditions for hurling. At half-time, Clonoulty led by 1-9 to 1-8, having opened up a 1-4 to 0-1 lead after just 13 minutes. Seán Maher’s goal sent Clonoulty six points clear but Pat Lupton responded in kind just a minute later as Drom Inch, without ever hitting the heights in the first half, hung in there. Callanan should have netted in the 24th minute but he was denied by goalkeeper Declan O’Dwyer, who performed similar heroics against the same player early in the second half.


Ciarán Quirke had chances for Clonoulty but the Drom Inch net would not bulge again until O’Neill blasted home three minutes into the second half. O’Neill’s strike was the last real highlight for Clonoulty, as the absence of key players caught up with them. Drom Inch upped the ante, with Eamonn Buckley supreme at centre back. Up front, Callanan was aided and abetted by David Collins and David Butler, exceptional in the corner.

DROM INCH: D Young; Martin Butler, Micheál Butler, M Costello; James Ryan, E Buckley, P Stapleton; Johnny Ryan (0-2, one free), J Woodlock; D Ryan, S Callanan (0-6, two free, one 65), D Collins (0-3); P Lupton (1-2), S Butler (0-2), D Butler (0-4). Subs: K Butler for D Ryan (half-time), L Ryan for Martin Butler (39 mins), M Ryan for Johnny Ryan (60+2 mins).

CLONOULTY-ROSSMORE: D O’Dwyer; K Horan, J Heffernan, Joey O’Keeffe; P Heffernan, J Devane, John O’Keeffe; S O’Connor, T Butler (0-1); S Maher (1-2), C Ryan (0-1), J Moloney (0-1); J O’Neill (1-2, 0-1 sideline), T Hammersley (0-6, three frees, one 65), C Quirke (0-1). Subs: M Sadlier for Horan (half-time), F O’Keeffe for Moloney (45 mins), A Kearney for O’Connor (46 mins), M Coen for Ryan (54 mins), M Heffernan for Quirke (58 mins).

Referee: P Gibson (Burgess).

Munster First Round (Sun, Oct 30th)

1: Drom Inch v Ballygunner Thurles

Semi-finals (Sun, Nov 13th)

1 v Na Piarsaigh Tipp/Waterford venue

Carrigtwohill v Clare Cork venue