Corn Ui Mhuiri Football Quarter-Final – DLS Macroom 1-12 Skibbereen 1-2

Powerful start propels Macroom boys past St Fachtna’s

De La Salle, Macroom1-12 St Fachtna’s De La Salle (Skibbereen) 1-2

By Denis Hurley for the Irish Examiner newspaper

GREATER scoring power helped Macroom’s De La Salle past St Fachtna’s De La Salle of Skibbereen and into the semi-final of the Corn Uí Mhuirí at Ballineen yesterday. Having gone 1-2 to 0-0 ahead inside the opening five minutes, De La Salle would not score for the remainder of the first half — but still led at half-time — and then made better use of the wind than their opponents had when they switched ends. Four Macroom players scored more than once, with midfielders Peter Kelleher and Cathal Vaughan getting three points each, while Daniel Twomey and goalscorer David Horgan posed a constant threat to the Skibbereen side’s defence. Unfortunately for a St Fachtna’s team that suffered badly with injuries during the game, losing three players, it was not their day in front of the posts, as pressure in the second quarter failed to yield anything more than two Mark O’Driscoll points, one a free. That pair of scores did manage to get them off the mark after a torrid start, as Twomey and Kelleher pointed for Macroom inside four minutes before Horgan profited from a lovely Twomey pass to fire to the net.

After a good Darren Kelly point, Macroom’s dominance around the middle began to subside as Fachtna’s came into the game more, both sides struggling with the difficult conditions, and while Mark O’Driscoll’s double had Fachtna’s back to within three by the 22nd minute, there would be no more scores in the opening period. Despite a number of positional changes as well as two substitutions at half time, Fachtna’s found themselves penned back early in the second half as Macroom reeled off five unanswered points in the opening 12 minutes, the hard work of Pa Lucey a key feature while Vaughan and Kelleher found their range.

With 16 minutes remaining, Skibbereen gave themselves hope when midfielder Brian O’Driscoll played a quick close-in free to Jack Bushe and, after receiving the return pass, got his low shot past a mass of bodies and beyond Dylan Dineen in the Macroom goal. It would prove to be their final score, however, Macroom centre-back Sean O’Leary getting a good block on another Brian O’Driscoll shot late on before four unanswered points from the victors, two each by Twomey and Vaughan, wrapped up the victory. The Macroom side play Coláiste Chríost Rí in an all-Cork semi-final.

Scorers for De La Salle, Macroom: D Twomey, C Vaughan (1f), P Kelleher 0-3 each; D Horgan 1-0; P Lucey 0-2 (2f); D Kelly 0-1.

Scorers for St Fachtna’s De La Salle: B O’Driscoll 1-0; M O’Driscoll 0-2 (1f).

DE LA SALLE, MACROOM: D Dineen; S Kelleher, R O’Dwyer, K Manning; S O’Sullivan, S O’Leary, F Buckley; P Kelleher, C Vaughan; D Kelly, J Moynihan, P Lucey; J Murphy, D Twomey, D Horgan.

Subs: P Berhanu for Lucey (48), B O’Leary for Murphy (52), P Grainger for Manning (60).

ST FACHTNA’S DE LA SALLE: P Rossiter; D Kingston, B Nolan, R Fitzgerald; A Hassett, P O’Brien, S Hourihane; B O’Driscoll, C Newman; T McCarthy, K Davis, R Hayes; D O’Brien, M O’Driscoll, J Bushe.

Subs: M Hurley for D O’Brien (2), D O’Callaghan for Fitzgerald (27), B Hayes for Newman, B Leonard for Kingston (both ht), T Cronin for Leonard (57).

Referee: J Bermingham (Bride Rovers)