Allianz Football League Division 4 – Clare 1-17 Waterford 0-12

Four sent off as Clare claim points

Clare 1-17 Waterford 0-12

By Gerry Quinn for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Clare collected both points on offer in a game which saw four players sent off. The quartet — three form Waterford, one from Clare — received their marching orders for second yellow card offences. Clare started with points from Gary Brennan, David Tubridy, Rory Donnelly and Shane McGrath before Shane Ahearne opened the Waterford account in the 18th minute and they began to reel in their hosts. But Clare finished with points from Tubridy and Alan Clohessy for a 0-9 to 0-6 interval lead. Ahearne was then sent off for a clumsy foul on Gordon Kelly and with him went Waterford’s best chance of a result. Moments later Rory Donnelly fired past Cotter for the game’s only goal to end the contest before Gordon Kelly along with Waterford pair, Gary Hurney and Joey Veale were dismissed.

Scorers for Clare: D Tubridy (0-7), 1 f, R Donnelly (1-2), A Clohessy (0-4), S McGrath (0-2), G Brennan, G Quinlan (0-1) each.

Scorers for Waterford: G Hurney (0-4) 3 f’s, S Fleming, P Hurney, C McGrath (0-2) each, S Ahearne, S O’Hare (0-1) each.

CLARE: Joe Hayes, B Hartnett, S McNeilis, L Healy, M McMahon, G Kelly, John Hayes, G Brennan, G Quinlan, N Browne, S McGrath, S Brennan, R Donnelly, D Tubridy, A Clohessy.

Subs: D Russell for Browne (53), J Dowling for Donnelly (63), S Tierney for McGrath (67), M Foran for S Brennan (69), T Ryan for Healy (69).

WATERFORD: K Cotter, K Connery, C Phelan, A Doyle, S Briggs, T Grey, W Hennessy, S Ahearne, S O’Hare, C McGrath, S Dempsey, P Hurney, G Hurney, L O’Lonain, S Fleming.

Subs: C O’Keeffe for O’Lonain (46), R Ahearne for Hennessy (58), J Veale for McGrath (58).

Referee: F Flynn (Leitrim)


Waterford dismissals costly

Report from the Irish Times newspaper

Clare 1-17 Waterford 0-12: CLARE GOT their division four campaign off to a winning start at Cusack Park, Ennis, yesterday. Waterford finished with 12 players while the hosts ended up with 14. The sendings-off were for second bookable offences after the break. Clare led by 0-9 to 0-6 at the break, Waterford goalkeeper Kieran Cotter keeping his side in the hunt with two good first-half saves. He denied David Tubridy with a point-blank save and another from Shane Brennan.

But the game was over as a contest early in the second period. Waterford’s Shane Ahearne was first to be sent off on 41 minutes and then Rory Donnelly goaled for Clare on 52 minutes for a 1-13 to 0-9 lead. Clare’s Gordon Kelly plus Waterford’s Gary Hurney and Joey Veale received their marching orders in a one-sided second half.

CLARE: Joe Hayes; B Hartnett, S McNeilis, L Healy; M McMahon, G Kelly, John Hayes; G Brennan (0-1), G Quinlan (0-1); N Browne, S McGrath (0-2), S Brennan; R Donnelly (1-2), D Tubridy (0-7, 0-1 free), A Clohessy (0-4). Subs: D Russell for Browne (53 mins), J Dowling for Donnelly (63 mins), S Tierney for McGrath (67 mins), M Foran for S Brennan (69 mins), T Ryan for Healy (69 mins).

WATERFORD: K Cotter; K Connery, C Phelan, A Doyle; S Briggs, T Grey, W Hennessy; S Ahearne (0-1), S O’Hare (0-1); C McGrath (0-2), S Dempsey, P Hurney (0-2); G Hurney (0-4, 0-3 frees), L Ó Lonain, S Fleming (0-2). Subs: C O’Keeffe for OLonain (46 mins), R Ahearne for Hennessy (58 mins), J Veale for McGrath (58 mins).

Referee: F Flynn (Leitrim)