Munster Vocational Schools Senior B Hurling final – Coláiste Treasa Kanturk 2-15 Scoil Ruain Killenaule 2-9

Kanturk do the double

Coláiste Treasa Kanturk 2-15 Scoil Ruain Killenaule 2-9

By Therese O’Callaghan for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Coláiste Treasa Kanturk completed a provincial double at Fermoy yesterday when they collected the Munster Vocational Schools senior B hurling title — adding to the football honours they’ve already annexed. While the final result indicates a close game, there was little doubt about the outcome once they surged ahead by 12 points early in the second half. Scoil Ruain never gave up though, and must be credited for a rallying final quarter that yielded two goals and two points. Coláiste Treasa were 0-8 to 0-3 to the good when corner forward Cian Murphy struck for their opening goal. They were thankful too to the alertness of their keeper Colm Noonan who made a few great saves.

However it must be said Scoil Ruain contributed to their own downfall with far too many wides and when Daniel Guinan pointed from a placed ball before the break they had fallen behind, 0-5 to 1-10. Hopes of a revival were dashed when Kevin Crowley found the net for Coláiste Treasa directly from the restart. However, although the Killenaule side trailed 2-11 to 0-5 they kept working. In the closing 10 minutes Jack Shelly goaled twice — once from a penalty –— but they’ll rue a missed penalty from Guinan who blasted over.

Still, Coláiste Treasa managed to keep them at distance. Donal Hannon shot their last four points before Scoil Ruain were reduced to 14 men when Dylan Fitzgerald was sent off on 50 minutes. This competition goes no further as there is no All Ireland series for this grade.

Scorers for Coláiste Treasa: D Hannon 0-6 (0-4f), C Murphy 1-3, K Crowley 1-0, G Forde (0-1f, 0-1 ‘65), I Walsh 0-2 each, J Browne, S Cremin 0-1 each.

Scorers for Scoil Ruain: J Shelly 2-2 (1-0 pen, 0-1f), D Guinan 0-5 (0-1 pen, 0-1f, 0-1 ‘65), J O’Connor, D Connolly 0-1 each.

Coláiste Treasa: C Noonan (Kanturk); P Allen (Newmarket), M O’Brien (Dromtariffe), S O’Callaghan (do.); A Ryan (Newmarket), A O’Keeffe (Kanturk), G Forde (Newmarket); I Walsh (Kanturk), D Hannon (Newmarket); K Crowley (Millstreet), J Flaherty (Newmarket), J Browne (Kanturk); S Cremin (Dromtariffe), S Crowley (Kilbrin), C Murphy (Banteer).

Subs: S O’Keeffe (Dromtariffe) for Cremin (47), D Crowley (Dromtariffe) for O’Callaghan (59), D Browne (Kanturk) for Flaherty (59).

Scoil Ruain: R Walsh (Mullinahone); S Luttrell (Moyle Rovers), G Browning (Mullinahone), D Walzer (do.); D O’Riordan (St Patrick’s Drang an), L Mulally (Mullinahone), D Blake (Killenaule); D Fitzgerald (Fethard), A O’Connell (Killenaule); D Connolly (Mullinahone), J Shelly (do.), R Dooley (Gortnahoe-Glengoole); S Walzer (Mullinahone), D Guinan (Killenaule), J O’Connor (do).

Subs: P Webster (Gortnahoe Glengoole) for D O’Riordan (h/t), C Maher (Ballingarry) for A O’Connell (40), M Dunne (Mullinahone) for R Dooley (50).

Referee: D O’Farrell (Mitchelstown)