GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship Quarter-Final – Dublin 1-16 Cork 0-14

Dublin defeated Cork by 1-16 to 0-14 in the GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship Quarter-Final on Saturday August 3rd at Croke Park.

Impressive Dublin move into last four

Report from the web site

All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Quarter-Final: Dublin 1-16 Cork 0-14

Dublin advanced to the All-Ireland semi-final on Saturday evening after a very impressive five-point victory over Cork at Croke Park. Jim Gavin’s side joined Tyrone in the last four, the Red Hands having defeated Monaghan in the earlier game of the double header at Headquarters. It was an ominous sign of intent from Dublin, who should have won the game by a lot more. Although Cork contributed plenty to a lively and entertaining game, Dublin missed a large number of goal chances in both halves, and should have been well ahead of Cork by the end.

The game was tight on the scoreboard throughout, and Cork showed great spirit to stay in the game, but Jack McCaffrey’s brilliant goal on 39 minutes saw Dublin take a four-point lead, and they were in control, more or less, for the rest of the game. Their goalkeeper Stephen Cluxton was their top scorer with six points after a brilliant display of ballstriking, and his points proved crucial, considering how profligate his side had been in other areas.

Dublin lead 0-9 to 0-7 at the end of an absorbing first half, but they should have been further in front. Cork started brightly with points from Daniel Goulding and Ciarán Sheehan, but with Cluxton imperious from placed balls, Dublin lead 0-4 to 0-2 after nine minutes, with the goalkeeper kicking three of those. Cork got level following scores from Brian Hurley and John O’Rourke, and they were using a strategy of pumping high ball into their full forward line, and it was paying dividends, with Sheehan excelling in the air.

However, Dublin were creating a lot of goal chances, with Paul Flynn, Michael Darragh Macauley and Bernard Brogan all going close in the first half. Flynn managed two points in the opening 35 minutes, and he put Dublin 0-7 to 0-6 ahead a few minutes shy of half-time. Dublin were on top by then, and they finished the half with points from Ciarán Kilkenny and Brogan. McCaffrey had been outstanding throughout, and he was rewarded for his efforts when he scored a brilliant goal at the start of the second half. He embarked on a searing run down the left wing, exchanged passes with Paul Mannion, and crashed the ball into the top right hand corner of the net from a very tight angle.

That put Dublin four ahead, but Cork responded well with two points from the increasingly influential Brian Hurley. One of Hurley’s points could have been a goal had he kept his shot down, and a Cork goal at that stage could have led to a very different result. However, Dublin brought Kevin McManamon, Dean Rock and Denis Bastick all on in the second half, and all three were very influential, scoring a combined tally of 0-4. Points from McManamon and Rock helped Dublin into a 1-14 to 0-13 lead with 10 minutes to go. Cork battled hard, and tried desperately to force the goal chance they needed. Apart from a few scary moments though, Dublin held out, and when Cluxton drove over his sixth point of the day late on, the game was up for Cork.

Dublin will play either Kerry or Cavan in the All-Ireland semi-final on September 1.


Scorers for Dublin: S Cluxton 0-6 (2f, 4 ’45), J McCaffrey 1-0, P Flynn 0-2, C Kilkenny 0-2, D Rock 0-2, MD Macauley 0-1, B Brogan 0-1 (1f), K McManamon 0-1, D Bastick 0-1

Scorers for Cork: D Goulding 0-5 (2f, 1 ’45), B Hurley 0-3, M Collins 0-2 (1f), C Sheehan 0-1, J O’Rourke 0-1, D Cahalane 0-1 (1 ’45), J Loughrey 0-1

Dublin: S Cluxton; J Cooper, R O’Carroll, K O’Brien; J McCarthy, G Brennan, J McCaffrey; MD Macauley, C O’Sullivan; P Flynn, C Kilkenny, D Connolly; P Mannion, B Cullen, B Brogan. Subs: D Rock for B Cullen (41), P McMahon for J Cooper (50), K McManamon for P Mannion (54), D Bastick for MD Macauley (60), E O’Gara for C Kilkenny (66).

Cork: A Quirke; E Cadogan, M Shields, T Clancy; D Cahalane, G Canty, J Loughrey; A O’Connor, P O’Neill; M Collins, A Walsh, J O’Rourke; D Goulding, C Sheehan, B Hurley. Subs: P Kissane for E Cadogan (36), P Kerrigan for J O’Rourke (43), J O’Sullivan for T Clancy (48), D O’Connor for A O’Connor (51), T Clancy for G Canty (55).

Attendance: 70,018

Referee: David Coldrick (Meath)

Team News

Cork (SFC v Dublin): Alan Quirke (Valley Rovers); Eoin Cadogan (Douglas), Michael Shields (St Finbarr’s), Thomas Clancy (Clonakilty); Damien Cahalane (Castlehaven), Graham Canty (Bantry Blues), James Loughrey (Mallow); Alan O’Connor (St Colum’s), Pearse O’Neill (Aghada); Mark Collins (Castlehaven), Aidan Walsh (Kanturk), John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers); Daniel Goulding (Eire Óg), Ciarán Sheehan (Eire Óg), Brian Hurley (Castlehaven).

Subs: Ken O’Halloran (Bishopstown), John Mc Loughlin (Kanturk), Tomás Clancy (Fermoy), Noel O’Leary (Cill na Martra), Jamie O’Sullivan (Bishopstown), Paudie Kissane (Clyda Rovers), Andrew O’Sullivan (Castletownbere), Fintan Goold (Macroom), Patrick Kelly (Ballincollig), Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers), Donncha O’Connor (Ballydesmond).

DUBLIN (SF v Cork): S Cluxton (Parnells); J Cooper (Na Fianna), R O’Carroll (Kilmacud Crokes), K O’Brien (Naoimh Mearnog); J McCarthy (Ballymun Kickhams), G Brennan (St Vincent’s), J McCaffrey (Clontarf); M Dara Macauley (Ballyboden St Enda’s), C O’Sullivan (Kilmacud Crokes); P Flynn (Fingallians), C Kilkenny (Castleknock), D Connolly (St Vincent’s); P Mannion (Kilmacud Crokes), E O’Gara (Synge St Templeogue), B Brogan (Oliver Plunketts).