Allianz Hurling League Division 1A – Waterford 0-22 Galway 1-13

Waterford defeated Galway by 0-22 to 1-13 in round 2 of the Allianz Hurling League Division 1A on Sunday February 23rd at Walsh Park, Waterford.

Mahony points the way as Waterford beat Galway

Allianz Hurling League Division IA: Waterford 0-22 Galway 1-13

Report from the web site

Waterford recorded a rousing win at a blustery Walsh Park with Pauric Mahony leading the way with eleven points to dismiss Galway. Young stars Ray Barry and Ryan Donnelly also caught the eye as a hard-working home side took control around the half-back and midfield sectors.

Derek McGrath made six changes from the narrow loss to Tipperary with Ian O’Regan, Tadhg Bourke, Ray Barry, Stephen Molumphy, Ryan Donnelly and Séamus Prendergast all drafted in. Galway boss Anthony Cunningham brought Kevin Hynes into the team instead of Jonathon Glynn. The sides were level on five occasions during the first 35. Conor Cooney started the scoring within five seconds for the wind assisted Tribesmen. Further points from Pádraig Brehony and Cathal Mannion gave them a 0-3 to 0-1 lead with five minutes on the watch.

The Waterford half back line steadied the ship and a brace by Pauric Mahony followed by a Kevin Moran single put the hosts ahead (0-4 to 0-3). Cooney equalised with his second strike. Mahony (free) and Cooney then traded points. The teams exchanged scores twice more. With Mahony directing affairs and striking six first half efforts (three from play), Waterford moved two points up. Cathal Mannion, with his second white flag, had the last word in the first half to leave them one adrift (0-9 to 0-8).

Three swift points at the beginning of the second period (Mahony, Séamus Prendergast and Ray Barry) kept the home side in control. On 48 minutes, Jason Flynn pounced on a slip by Tadhg Bourke to make it all square for the seventh time (0-14 to 1-11). Waterford recovered with long distance points from Ray Barry and Pauric Mahony.

The half-back line of Jamie Nagle, Michael Walsh and Philip Mahony continued to offer the launch pad for Derek McGrath’s determined outfit. Kevin Moran and Shane O’Sullivan also broke forward from midfield. Ray Barry raised three second half white flags and enthusiastic newcomer Ryan Donnelly pushed the Déise into a four point lead with ten minutes remaining (0-19 to 1-12).

Pádraig Brehony brought Galway within three but Waterford finished with a flourish to delight the home support among the 2,616 in attendance. Substitutes Jake Dillon and Stephen Roche got in on the act and fittingly Mahony rounded off the scoring business.

Scorers for Waterford: Pauric Mahony 0-11 (6fs), R Barry 0-4, S Prendergast 0-2, S Molumphy, S Roche, K Moran, J Dillon, R Donnelly 0-1 each.

Scorers for Galway: C Cooney 0-6 (2fs), J Flynn 1-0, C Mannion 0-3, P Brehony 0-2, N Healy, David Burke 0-1 each.

Waterford: I O’Regan; T Bourke, S Fives, N Connors; J Nagle, M Walsh, Philip Mahony; K Moran, S O’Sullivan; R Barry, Pauric Mahony, S Molumphy; R Donnelly, S Prendergast, B O’Sullivan. Subs: J Dillon for B O’Sullivan (45), J Barron for Molumphy (50), E Barrett for S O’Sullivan (59), S Roche for Prendergast (63), G O’Brien for Barry (66).

Galway: C Callanan; F Moore, R Burke, J Coen; A Harte, I Tannian, D Collins; David Burke, P Brehony; K Hynes, C Cooney, J Flynn; N Healy, C Mannion, D Glennon. Subs: P Landers for Hynes (28), Daithi Burke for Glennon (43), D Dolan for Landers (62), R Cummins for Mannion (65).

Referee: J Sexton (Cork)