Allianz Hurling League Division 1A – Waterford 1-13 Dublin 1-10

Waterford defeated Dublin by 1-13 to 1-10 in round 3 of the Allianz Hurling League Division 1A on Sunday March 9th at Walsh Park, Waterford.

Defiant Déise defeat Dublin

Allianz Hurling League Division IA: Waterford 1-13 Dublin 1-10

Report by Tomas McCarthy for

Fourteen man Waterford rose to the challenge at a sticky Walsh Park to overcome the first half dismissal of captain Michael Walsh and take back to back home victories. In a dour battle, with ferocious effort on both sides, the Déise held firm to protect a five point half time lead. In front of 4,363 they sent the home fans away in upbeat mood after a united defensive performance during the second period.

Pauric Mahony struck 1-8 for the winners, including a first half net finder. In a heroic defence, Stephen O’Keeffe pulled off a dazzling second half save and the full back line of Tadhg Bourke, Shane Fives and Noel Connors agitated the Sky Blues. Dublin spent 28 minutes of the second half without registering. Conal Keaney’s last minute goal was not enough to reel back Derek McGrath’s side.

Helped by Mahony’s opportunistic goal on 23 minutes, Waterford led by 1-10 to 0-8 at the break. Dublin began brightly through Alan McCrabbe, Keaney and David O’Callaghan to establish an early three point gap. That was wiped out with a Kevin Moran point and two frees from Mahony to leave them level at five points apiece. A pair of Seamus Prendergast white flags nudged Waterford ahead for the first time. On 23 minutes, Mahony pounced after a scramble between Peter Kelly and Seamus Prendergast to cut loose and blast beyond the dive of Gary Maguire (1-8 to 0-7).

Six minutes later the home crowd were stunned when Cathal McAllister flashed a straight red card to Michael Walsh after a collision with Alan McCrabbe. With Kevin Moran relocated to number six, Waterford continued in the same vein. Mahony finished the half with 1-6 to see them depart five in front.

Mahony extended that to six within four minutes of the restart through another placed ball. The Dubs were struggling with their shooting and hit three wides in succession. Stephen O’Keeffe saved a point blank effort from substitute Eamon Dillon on 55 minutes. A brilliant block by Tadhg Bourke set up substitute Brian O’Sullivan as Waterford were coping well in difficult circumstances. Alan McCrabbe finally opened Dublin’s second half account from a 65’ after 63 minutes. Conor McCormack then saw red for a high challenge on Jamie Nagle.

Dublin came with a late surge to nearly catch Waterford cold. A defensive slip allowed Keaney to sneak in for a goal in the final minute. Dillon tacked on a point in injury time. With the pressure building, the home side emerged with a free in the last play to raise the spirits of the white and blue followers. The high levels of intensity and work rate was again on show from a Waterford side that refused to surrender.

Scorers for Waterford: Pauric Mahony 1-8 (6fs, 1 65’), S Prendergast 0-2, B O’Sullivan, R Donnelly, K Moran 0-1 each.

Scorers for Dublin: C Keaney 1-1, A McCrabbe 0-3 (2fs, 1 65’), D O’Callaghan 0-2, J McCaffrey, J Boland, C Cronin 0-1 each.

Waterford: S O’Keeffe; T Bourke, S Fives, N Connors; J Nagle, M Walsh, Philip Mahony; K Moran, S McNulty; R Barry, S Molumphy S O’Sullivan; R Donnelly, S Prendergast, Pauric Mahony. Subs: B O’Sullivan for Donnelly (46), S Roche for McNulty (46), E Barrett for Barry (56), B Coughlan for Prendergast (58), G O’Brien for Molumphy (63).

Dublin: G Maguire; C O’Callaghan, P Kelly, N Corcoran; S Durkin, L Rushe, M Carton; J Boland, J McCaffrey; R O’Dwyer, A McCrabbe, C Cronin; D O’Callaghan, C Keaney, M Schutte. Subs: E Dillon for Schutte (44), S McGrath for O’Callaghan (59), C McCormack for Cronin (59).

Referee: C McAllister (Cork)