AIB Munster Club SFC S-Final – The Nire 1-13 Cratloe 2-8

The Nire (Waterford) defeated Cratloe (Clare) by 1-13 to 2-8 after extra time in the AIB Munster GAA Club Senior Football Championship Semi-Final on Sunday November 16th at Fraher Field Dungarvan.

Munster SFC: The Nire deny Cratloe in thriller

AIB Munster Senior Football Club Semi-Final: THE NIRE 1-13 CRATLOE 2-8 (AET)

Report from

The Nire claimed an absorbing Munster semi final and broke Cratloe’s winning momentum following eighty minutes of end to end drama at Fraher Field.

Late points through Jamie Barron and Brian Wall ultimately settled a thriller to send Benji Whelan’s side through to their second provincial decider. The sides were level seven times before Barron kicked a super point with four minutes remaining. He then set up the experienced Wall to curl in the clincher.

This win was based on fitness and incredible workrate. The Ballymacarbry outfit had heroes throughout the field. From the O’Gorman twins and Wall brothers Diarmuid and Brian at the back through to Shane Walsh at midfield with Jamie Barron, Shane Ryan and Conor Gleeson delivering magic moments in attack. Cathal McInerney and Podge Collins kept Cratloe’s double ambitions alive for as long as possible. An exciting opening half finished all square at 2-3 to 1-6.

Cathal McInerney fisted to the net on eleven minutes following a misjudged kickout from Tom Wall. Conor Gleeson was on song at the other end however and a precise Jamie Barron pass played him in for a goal on after 16 minutes. Cratloe replied straight away as Conor Ryan blasted beyond Wall from close range (2-2 to 1-3). Gleeson and Barron restored parity before another exchange of points through McInerney and Brian Wall.

The Nire claimed the third quarter but only struck over frees from Shane Ryan and Brian Wall. They couldn’t translate their dominance on the scoreboard and kicked three wides. Cratloe punished those misses. The Clare champions hit four on the spin. Cathal McInerney came up with three and Podge Collins sent over an inspirational point.

The blue and gold rung the changes and got a second wind. Shane Walsh blasted over before a belter from Conor Gleeson forced extra time and a chance to pause for breath (1-10 to 2-7). Tiredness on both sides showed during extra time. McInerney and Walsh swapped points in the first period to tie up the match for the seventh time. Both sides fluffed chances before the hosts steadied. Barron and Wall registered crucial scores late on as The Nire eye up a first Munster title for a Waterford club side.
Scorers for The Nire: C Gleeson 1-2; J Barron, S Walsh, S Ryan (2fs) 0-3 each; B Wall 0-2

Scorers for Cratloe: C McInerney 1-6 (4fs); C Ryan 1-0; P Collins 0-2.

THE NIRE: T Wall; Maurice O’Gorman, T O’Gorman, J Walsh; S Lawlor, B Wall, D Wall; C Guiry, S Walsh; Michael O’Gorman, M Moore, J Barron; S Ryan, L Lawlor, C Gleeson. Subs: K Guiry for Michael O’Gorman (H-T); J Guiry for J Walsh (54); D Ryan for Moore (55); A Lawlor for K Guiry (77).

CRATLOE: P De Loughrey; S Chaplin, B Duggan, S O’Leary; D Ryan, M Hawes, E Boyce; J Galvin, F Lynch; C Ryan, S Collins, L Markham; C McInerney, C McGrath, P Collins. Subs: D Collins for Boyce (34)

Referee: D O’Mahoney (Tipperary)

Fixture Details

Sunday November 16th
The Nire (Waterford) v Cratloe (Clare)
Venue: Fraher Field, Dungarvan 2.30pm
Referee: Derek O’Mahoney (Tipperary)
Extra time if necessary