GAA Hurling All-Ireland Intermediate Championship Final – Kilkenny 2-23 Cork 2-18

Kilkenny defeated Cork by 2-23 to 2-18 in the GAA Hurling All-Ireland Intermediate Championship Final on Sunday July 23rd at Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

Kilkenny crowned All-Ireland Intermediate Hurling Champions

Kilkenny 2-23 Cork 2-18

Report By Denis Hurley for

A second-half blitz was the deciding period of the game as Kilkenny claimed the first silverware in the new Páirc Uí Chaoimh as they saw off Cork on Sunday.

Leading by 0-11 to 0-10 at half-time, the Cats conceded a goal to Cork’s Jerry O’Neill straight after the resumption and they were 1-15 to 0-15 behind with 16 minutes of normal time remaining.

They were level as Paul Holden, Martin Keoghan and Robbie Donnelly all pointed and, when Cork goalkeeper Patrick Collins tripped Darragh Brennan after saving from Martin Power, Donnelly drilled the penalty home.

A long-range free from the same player – he finished with 1-11 – opened up the biggest lead of the game up to that point and the outcome was more or less decided when sub Tom Phelan pulled a loose ball home after Donnelly’s free broke.

The first half was an even affair, with more than a point separating the teams on only one occasion. Cork had a greater spread of scorers but also more wides, while goal chances were at a premium.

The Rebels led for much of the half and looked to have opened up some daylight when Seán Hayes’s fourth point put them 0-9 to 0-7 in front in the 26th minutes. Kilkenny responded well though as Robbie Donnelly got his third and then fourth to tie the game.

William Leahy’s booming effort after Patrick Collins’s puckout made it 0-10 to 0-9 but Kilkenny led at the break as Paul Holden and then Donnelly were on target before the break.

O’Neill’s goal, set up by Leahy and sub Rob O’Shea, lifted Cork and Hayes, O’Shea and Leahy pointed after Donnelly had replied with two frees.

Kilkenny found their rhythm again though and Phelan’s goal put them firmly in control. O’Shea’s free ended Cork’s drought but Kilkenny replied through Donnelly and impressive pair Edmond Delaney and Keoghan to move nine clear.

Cork did pull a goal back through O’Shea, but Kilkenny were not going to allow any more, ensuring they retained the title.

Scorers for Kilkenny: Robbie Donnelly 1-11 (1-0 penalty, 0-9 frees), Edmond Delaney 0-4, Martin Keoghan, Paul Holden 0-3 each, Tom Phelan 1-0, Martin Power, John Cahill 0-1 each.

Scorers for Cork: Seán Hayes 0-6 (0-5f, 0-1 sideline), Rob O’Shea 1-2 (0-1f), William Leahy 0-4, Jerry O’Neill 1-1, David Drake, Michael Collins 0-2 each, Danny O’Flynn 0-1.

KILKENNY: David Aylward; David Prendergast, Ger Teehan, Niall Doherty; Barry Whelan, Cormac Fleming, John Cahill; JP Treacy, Martin Keoghan; Paul Holden, Darragh Brennan, Eedmond Delaney; Seán Carey, Martin Power, Robbie Donnelly
Subs: Tom Phelan for Fleming (half-time), Liam Hickey for Carey (40), Niall Walsh for Hickey (42-44, blood), Colum Prendiville for Keoghan, James Power for Delaney, Damien Walsh for Cahill (all 60).

CORK: Patrick Collins; Brian O’Sullivan, Shane O’Donovan, Shane Hegarty; Kieran Morrison, Donnacha O’Donovan, Kevin Kavanagh; Danny O’Flynn, Michael Collins; Darren Casey, Nicky Kelly, Jerry O’Neill; Seán Hayes, William Leahy, David Drake
Subs: Tom Lawrence for Morrison, Rob O’Shea for Casey (both half-time), John Cooper for O’Flynn (44), Mark Kennefick for Hayes (52), Noel McNamara for O’Neill (57).

Referee: Colum Cunning (Antrim).

Fixture Details

23.07.2017 (Sun)
GAA Hurling All-Ireland Intermediate Championship Final
Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Cork 14:00
Corcaigh v Cill Chainnigh
Referee: Colum Cunning (Aontroim)
(E.T. in Necessary)